A Quick Overview of Top Programming Languages for Job Seekers and Beginners Level Developer
There are more than 500 programming languages and some of them have become completely obsolete while some of them are still flourishing for more than 20 years. The decision of which programming language should you learn is difficult for many beginners and job seekers since each programming language is designed for a specific purpose and has advantages and disadvantages.
Which is the Best Programming Language?
The answer to which is the best programming language is subjective and it highly depends upon the person and their desired career path. The programming language you should choose should have high demand, high applications, and plenty of jobs. The demand for programming language experts fluctuates every now and then so that should also be considered as a critical factor.
So, Which Programming Language Should you Learn? If you are a seasoned developer and have a strong understanding of the basic concepts of any Programming language, then you can learn the specific application of the programming language but if you are new to programming, it is wise to learn the General Application Programming Language. These Programming languages basically have the highest number of IT Jobs on Jooble, LinkedIn, and other Job Searching platforms but so is the competition.
Related- 5 Best Resources to Learn & Get Programming Certification for Free
Below are the top 13 Programming Languages that have the highest demand in 2020, we have also given the applications to help you decide the Right Programming Language for you.
Created by Guido Van Rossum in 1991, the Python Programming Language is an interpreted, high-level general-purpose programming language. The Python Programming language is meant to be an easily readable language that does not use curly braces for defining the block and semi-colons are optional. Python’s standard library and developers community is considered as the biggest strength that provides tools for a major number of tasks. Python is the top demanded Programming language for Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
- Object-Oriented Programming (OOPs)
- The simpler syntax that enables the developer to focus on logic than syntax
- It allows scaling the complex applications easily
- Abundant Support Libraries
- Not suitable for Mobile computing
- Slower in Execution since it uses the Interpreter instead of Compiler
- Python developers usually find it difficult to work on other programming languages as they become accustomed to Python’s libraries and its features
Average Income– According to Payscale, an Average Income of a Python Developer in the United States is $90,000/ Year and in India, it is ₹763,569/ Year.
- Execution is very fast as it runs on the Client’s browser
- It has simple syntax compared to C++
Java is a general-purpose, class-based, object-oriented programming language design by Josh Gosling in 1995. The Java Programming language intended to let developers Write once Run Anywhere. According to GitHub, Java was the most used programming language in 2019 on client-server applications with more than 9 million developers worldwide.
- It is a simple Object-oriented programming language
- Java is robust and Secure
- It is architecture-neutral (runs on all platforms) and portable
- It is stable and has a large developers community
- Java is memory consuming and slower than C or C++
- Java GUI builders are not suitable for complex User Interfaces
- Java tends to be difficult to understand as the size of the application increases
Average Income- According to Payscale, an Average Income of a Java Developer in the United States is $91,011/ Year and in India, it is ₹723,188/ Year.
Developed by Microsoft in 2000, C# is a general-purpose, class-based, Object-oriented programming language. The C# is one of the first choices for Enterprise applications and for a few years it has been popular for mobile developments. The programming style and pattern of C# are very similar to C or C++ that makes it easy for developers who already have knowledge of C and C++. C# is widely used in Game development and is a primary programming language on Unity Game Engine.
- Easy for developers who have knowledge of C/C++
- The C# is less verbose, hence simple to understand
- C# is a common and most widely used language so finding a Job in C# is comparatively easier
- You need to compile the code after every change in source code
- Codes can get very messy if not properly written
Average Income- According to Payscale, an Average Income of a C# Developer in the United States is $82,222/ Year and in India, it is ₹657,871/ Year.
C is the general-purpose, procedural programming language designed by Dennis Ritchie in 1972. The C programming language offers low-level access to memory and gives complete control over the hardware. Due to these features, the C Programming language is widely used to date. C is the oldest programming language and ruled the industry for over 48 years. C programming is the simplest programming language to learn for beginners to get the basics right.
- C Programming is one of the fastest and most powerful programming languages.
- C gives complete control over the hardware
- It is a building block for many programming languages like Python, Ruby, etc.
- C is a middle-level language, which means it supports the low-level as well as high-level programming languages.
- C does not support the concept of Object-Oriented
- C does not have the Exception handling feature
- The constructor and destructor are not present in the C programming language
Related- How to Get Github Student Developer Pack in 2020
C++ programming language was created by Bjarne Stroustrup as an extension of the C programming language in 1985. It has Object-oriented, functional features for low-level memory manipulation and directly compiled to the machine instructions. C++ is majorly used in the Gaming Industry and Cloud computing for its low-level memory management.
- C++ is a highly portable language
- C++ use multi-paradigm programming
- It gives the user complete control over memory management
- C++ has a very large scope in the job market
- C++ tends to be complex in large applications
- The syntax is complex and the standard library is small, making C++ difficult to learn for someone with little programming experience.
- C++ Programming is slower in execution
Related- 8 Super Cool Project Ideas to Build an Effective LinkedIn Profile
PHP is one of the best scripting languages best suited for web development created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994. PHP initially stood for Personal Home Page but now it is updated to Hypertext Preprocessor. PHP is one of the highly productive server-side web development programming languages. PHP has multiple stable frameworks for developers.
- PHP applications can run on multiple platforms
- PHP has a built-in capability of connecting to the database
- It is easy to use PHP Programming
- PHP is not designed for developing huge applications
- Since PHP is open-source, anyone can see the source code and exploit the bugs
Average Income- According to Payscale, an Average Income of a PHP Developer in the United States is $64,204/ Year and in India, it is ₹28,753/ Year.
Developed by Apple Inc. and open source developers in 2014, Swift is a general-purpose compiled programming language. The Swift programming language was developed to replace Objective-C for Mac and iOS devices. Swift has established itself as a primary programming language for iOS App development.
- Swift is a simpler and clean syntax compared to other programming languages.
- Swift is very fast in execution as compared to Objective-C
- It is gaining quite popularity in System programming as it is open source
- As Swift is a very young programming language, there are not many tools for developers
- Swift has compatibility issues for many libraries
- Lack of Support for older versions of iOS
- Not recommended for larger projects since it has been updated frequently
Average Income- According to Payscale, an Average Income of a Swift Developer in the United States is $97,066/ Year and in India, it is ₹585,911/ Year.
Designed by Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, and Ken Thompson in 2009, at Google, Go is a statistically typed, compiled programming language. The language is often known as GoLang due to its domain Golang.org but the proper name of the language is Go. The Go Programming language is highly influenced by C but is focused on simplicity and safety. The Syntax of Go language is much more readable hence it is easy to learn. There are numerous open-source applications written in Go like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, etc. Go is the simplest programming language to learn if you already have basic knowledge of C/ C++.
- Go Language is very easy to learn and use
- Go has a smart standard library that comes packed with Go
- It has a great future in DevOps, Back-End Web Development, and Full-stack web development.
- Go is still Young and does not have a large community of developers like Java, Python
- Not many libraries resulting in constraints of developing large-scale projects
Average Income- According to Payscale, an Average Income of a Go Developer in the United States is $116,686/ Year and in India, it is ₹1,153,556/ Year.
Ruby is a high-level, general-purpose programming language developed by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto in the 1990s in Japan. According to Matz, the Ruby programming language is highly influenced by Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada, BASIC, and Lisp. Ruby is a scripting language for use in the development of front-end and back-end web development. The Syntax of Ruby is very high-level and easy to understand. It is said to be the closest you can get to programming in the English Language.
- Ruby has a development framework (Ruby on Rails) that reduces development time from 25% to 40%
- Ruby is an easy-to-learn, simple, and clean programming language
- It has numerous libraries, tools, and RubyGems for faster development
- Ruby can have a low run-time speed for larger applications
- Ruby on Rails does not have proper documentation for libraries and RubyGems
Average Income- According to Payscale, an Average Income of a Ruby Developer in the United States is $76,526/ Year and in India, it is ₹487,192/ Year.
R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphical representations used widely among statisticians and data miners for developing statistical software. R has a third-party graphical user interface like RStudio for graphical analysis of data. R programming was designed by Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentleman in 1993 at the University of Auckland, New Zealand and it is recently been highly used in business analytics and management operations. The R has numerous libraries for statistical and graphical techniques like Linear/ Non-linear modeling, time-series analysis, classifications, clustering, and others. R is the top demanded Programming language for Machine Learning and Data Analysis. R is the simplest programming language to learn if you are interested in the Machine Learning domain.
- R has all the major statistical techniques out of the box
- Numerous ways to analyze and present the data
- R is a freeware and has a large community of developers
- Memory Management in R tends to be difficult in complex applications
- Speed and Efficiency takes a toll in larger applications
SQL (Structured Query Language) is a domain-specific language used in programming and managing the data stored in the Relational database. SQL is used in almost all the domains with equal importance for structured data manipulation. The SQL has a feature of accessing multiple numbers of records in a single command with or without an index. SQL was developed by Donald Chamberlin and Raymond Boyce at IBM in 1970. SQL can be integrated with multiple programming languages with certain constraints allowing it to be easily integrated and support the application with ease.
- A large amount of data can be retrieved and stored quickly and efficiently.
- SQL does not require coding skills
- It is easy to learn and understand
- The difficulty of working with Hierarchical Structures
- Difficult to work in larger software with numerous tables
Average Income- According to Payscale, the Average Income of Developers/ DBAs in the United States is $78,452/ Year and in India, it is ₹613,060/ Year.
13) HTML/ CSS
- HTML is not a proprietary code, hence you can use it for free
- The coding with HTML is clear and consistent
- HTML provides an edge for Search Engine Optimization
- CSS helps to reduce the LOC thereby reducing the time to development
- There is always a constrain while developing large projects
- If you use CSS, you are forced to use the framework’s semantics
- It adds the extra code and dependability to CSS files
So these are the programming languages to learn for beginners and have a high number of job openings around the year.
Related- 29 Best Software Development IDE for Every Programmer & Developer
c++ does not support dynamic memory allocation ??? c++ does supports both static and dynamic allocation.